107247-134

Sequential use of targeted therapies for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: A physician survey and chart review of community oncology practices in the United States.

Subcategory: 
Category: 
Genitourinary Cancer
Session Type and Session Title: 
General Poster Session C: Renal Cancer
Abstract Number: 

418

Citation: 

J Clin Oncol 31, 2013 (suppl 6; abstr 418)

Author(s): 

Nicholas J. Vogelzang, James E. Signorovitch, Peggy L. Lin, Zhimei Liu, Kenneth W. Culver, Jeffrey A. Scott, Sumanta Kumar Pal, Eric Jonasch; US Oncology Research/Comprehensive Cancer Centers of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV; Analysis Group, Inc., Boston, MA; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ; Cardinal Health, Specialty Solutions, Dublin, OH; City of Hope, Duarte, CA; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX


Abstracts that were granted an exception in accordance with ASCO's Conflict of Interest Policy are designated with a caret symbol (^).

Abstract Disclosures

Abstract: 

Background: Multiple targeted agents are available to treat metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC) and no consensus has been reached for optimal treatment sequencing. This study describes physician-reported treatment preferences, reasons for treatment choices, and current treatment patterns for mRCC in the community setting. Methods: A physician survey and retrospective chart review was conducted during May and June 2012 among community-based oncologists or hematologists who had ≥5 mRCC patients under their care in 2011. Charts were reviewed for adult mRCC patients initiated on 2nd-targeted therapy after January 2010 to collect information on current treatment sequence in mRCC patients and reasons for treatment choices. A parallel survey collected physician treatment preferences for 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-targeted therapies for mRCC patients with good or poor prognosis. Results: The study included surveys from 36 physicians and charts from 433 mRCC patients. The majority of patients (77%) received a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) and the rest (23%) received a mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor (mTOR) as the 1st-targeted therapy. Sunitinib was the most common TKI and temsirolimus was the most common mTOR in the 1st-line setting. Among patients receiving 1st-line TKI, 34% received TKI (pazopanib was most used TKI) and 66% received mTOR (everolimus was most used mTOR) in the 2nd-line. Among 1st-line mTOR users, 94% used TKI (sunitinib was most used) and 6% mTOR (everolimus was most used) for 2nd-line. TKI-mTOR-TKI was the most commonly observed treatment sequence. Physician-stated preferences for 1st and 2nd targeted therapies were largely consistent with the results from the chart review, though actual mTOR use in the 2nd-line was greater than expected. Treatment guidelines and evidence from clinical trials were the top-ranked factors impacting treatment choices. Conclusions: In this large, retrospective chart review, TKI-mTOR-TKI was the most commonly observed treatment sequence for mRCC in the community setting.